Sunday, November 27, 2011 | Athletics
Valley Recognizes State Farm "Good Neighbor Award" Recipients
In an effort to honor the achievements of exceptional student-athletes, the Missouri Valley Conference, in partnership with State Farm, has created the MVC State Farm Good Neighbor Award. Ten student-athletes have been named by Commissioner Doug Elgin as the honorees for the 2011 fall season.
This year’s fall honorees include Shelby Cron, Evansville, Women’s Cross Country, Jr.; Bryan Hoie, Creighton, Men’s Soccer, Sr.; Samantha Shukla, Wichita State, Women’s Cross Country, So.; Anna Stinson, Illinois State, Women’s Soccer, So.; Michael Lahart, Drake, Football, Sr.; Ashley Mason, Missouri State, Volleyball, RSo.; Lauren Blumhorst, Southern Illinois, Volleyball, Sr.; Taylor Hancock, Indiana State, Women’s Soccer, Jr.; Genevieve Dejean, Bradley, Volleyball, Sr.; Benjamin Boothby, Northern Iowa, Football, Sr.
In order to be eligible for the award, the student-athlete must be in good academic standing, must demonstrate good citizenship through good sportsmanship and significant community service, and must participate in a sport, during the season of recognition. The Valley will recognize 10 student-athletes three times annually (fall, winter, spring), for a total of 30 honorees. Institutions select their Good Neighbor Award honorees.
State Farm Insurance is a long-time sponsor of the Missouri Valley Conference and serves as title sponsor for all 18 MVC championship events. Also, State Farm is a prominent sponsor of the league's television network and a sponsor of the Missouri Valley Conference's community outreach program, "Just Read!"
Shelby Cron, Evansville, Women’s Cross Country, Jr.
- 3.62 cumulative GPA
- Dean’s List (2 semesters)
- Received 2010-11 SAAC Top Ten Award for Community Service with 60.75 hours
- Student-Athlete Coordinator for the Just Read Program, 3 years
- Read Across America
- Two year member of the SAAC Board
- Aces of Hearts/Monster Mash – Kid’s Night Out Programs
- Volunteered with Toys for Tots, Red Ribbon Week, Ronald McDonald House Trick-for-Cans program,
- Tri-State Food Pantry canned food drive, Relay for Life, National Make A Difference Day at Assisted Living Complex, Habitat for Humanity, Race for the Cure, Build A Bear Project for Soldier
Bryan Hoie, Creighton, Men’s Soccer, Sr.
- Fall Dean’s List-2008
- Spring Dean’s List-2010
- MVC Honor Roll 2008-2011
- DJ’s Hero Award Winner
- Completed over 180 hours of community service this past year
- Volunteers at Camp Coholo a Childrens Cancer Sports Camp, Soccer Clinics, Siena Francis Collection, Just Read and children with cancer events.
Samantha Shukla, Wichita State, Women’s Cross Country, So.
- 3.739 GPA
- Dean’s List (2 semesters)
- Athletic Director’s Honor Roll (2 semesters)
- Goddard Intermediate Learning Center Pen Pal Program
- Wichita Prairie Fire Marathon Volunteer
- Shocks, Cops and Kids
- Wichita State University Trunk or Treat
- Lady Bugg House Volunteer
Anna Stinson, Illinois State, Women’s Soccer, So.
- Cumulative 4.0 GPA
- Recess Buddies-plays with kids at local elementary schools at recess
- Just Read-reads book at local elementary schools
- Home Sweet Home-organized donations
- Children’s Discovery Museum-helped with special events
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes-goes to local schools and speaks to high school athletes
- Midwest Food Bank-organizes food donations
Michael Lahart, Drake, Football, Sr.
- 3.89 GPA
- President’s List (4.00) – 4 semesters
- Dean’s list (3.50 or above) – 4 semesters
- Rho Chi Society (Top 20% of Pharmacy class)
- National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athlete Awards Candidate/William V. Campbell Trophy semi-finalist
- Capital One Academic All-America All-District VI.
- PFL Fall Academic Honor Roll (4 years).
- Internship at Hy-Vee Pharmacy
- Participated in Global Kilimanjaro Bowl in May 2011, including providing football camps to youth in Tanzania and completing work at an orphanage.
- Elementary school reading program.
- Ronald McDonald house clean-up.
- Unified Sports Day with Iowa Special Olympics
Ashley Mason, Missouri State, Volleyball, RSo.
- Cumulative 3.92 GPA
- Dean’s List every semester at MSU (Fall 2009 – current)
- Tutoring through the A+ program
- Volunteer coach at the YMCA and youth clinics
- Volunteered to help pack groceries for Ozarks Food Harvest
- Participated in walk for Breast Cancer awareness
- Participated in Adopt-a-Street Program
- SAAC team representative
- MVC Just Read program
- Assisted with Joplin Tornado Relief Effort
Lauren Blumhorst, Southern Illinois, Volleyball, Sr.
- Cumulative 3.873 GPA
- Dean’s List (4 semesters)
- Saluki Scholars, 2008-2009
- MVC Scholar-Athlete Honorable Mention 2009, 2010
- MVC Scholar-Athlete of the Week (November 16, 2009)
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Member
- Parrish Elementary School Sports Night/ Pumpkin Fest
- SIU Athletics Santa’s Shoebox
- MVC/State Farm “Just Read”
- SIU Athletics Halloween Bash, SIU Athletics “Thank A Thon”, SIU Athletics Talent Show
- Trick or Treat for Canned Goods
- Visits to Boys and Girls Club
- Assisted volleyball team with raising $900 for “Race for the Cure”;
- Collected toiletries to donate to local women’s shelter
Taylor Hancock, Indiana State, Women’s Soccer, Jr.
- Athletic Department Honor Roll- Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2011, Spring 2011
- MVC Honor Roll- Fall 2009
- ISU Scholar-Athlete- Spring 2011
- Terre Haute Humane Society
- Terre Haute Catholic Charities Food Bank
- Wabash Valley Race for the Cure
- Susan G. Koman Foundation
- Toys for Tots
- Zorah Temple Shriners of Terre Haute
- Ryves Hall Youth Center
- Special Olympics
Genevieve Dejean, Bradley, Volleyball, Sr.
- “Billy” Stone Athletic Scholarship, 2010-2011, 2011-2012;
- Arthur Ashe Sports-Scholar Award, 2011-2012
- Academic excellence and community activism
- Garrett-Provost Scholarship, 2008-Present; Dean’s Scholarship, 2008-Present
- Academic High-Honor Roll, 2008-Present, Student-Athletes with 3.2 GPA or greater
- Dean’s List (4 semesters), 3.5 or greater GPA
- Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain, May-term 2011
- President, Sigma Iota Rho, National Honors Society for International Relations, 2011-2012
- Megan Fong Blood Drive, Fall 2011
- Megan Fong Blood Drive and Bone Marrow Drive, Spring
- Congressman Aaron Schock’s Annual Summer Reading Program Event, October 23, 2011 “Souls4Soles” donation campaign at Bradley University, Fall
- “Just Read” program Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011
- Community Outreach: Bradley Athletics’ program, August 8, 2011
- “Lil’ Braves Clinics”, Fall 2011, Fall 2010, Spring 2010, Fall 2009
- Congressman Aaron Schock’s Annual High School Mailing, August 2
- MVC Partnership with Special Olympics, July 2010
- Service Project: Disaster Relief for Haiti, February 2010
- Peoria Park District (PPD) participation in 2010 Earth Day, April 2010
- “Picking up Peoria”, February/April 2009
Benjamin Boothby, Northern Iowa, Football, Sr.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude- May 2011 (3.88 cumulative GPA, Movement & Exercise Science, Pre-Med)
- Pursuing Master of Arts: Physical Education: Kinesiology Emphasis
- Dean’s List
- Second team Academic All-American (2010); First Team Academic All-Conference (2010); All-District Academic First Team (2009/2010); All-Conference Academic Second Team (2009)
- UNI McNair Scholar
- Waterloo East Wrestling Coach, Fall 2007
- Special Olympics, Spring 2008-2011
- Kick-Off for Kids Camp Instructor, Spring 2008-2011
- Prairie Lakes Church Youth Instructor, Fall 2009-Spring 2010
- House of Hope, Fall 2009 & Summer 2010
- UNI Rally in the Valley, Spring 2008-2011
- MVC Just Read!, Spring 2010 & Fall 2010
- Junior Panther Day, Spring 2009 & Spring 2011
- Football Small Group Leader, Fall 2010-Present
- Peer Mentor, Spring 2011-Present
- Vineyard Church Youth Instructor, Fall 2010-Present
- Youth Spiritual Speaker, Summer 2009- Present
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) Leadership Board, Fall 2007-present
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) Representative, 2007 & 2008