Creighton Upended by Indiana in College Cup Semifinals, 1-0
Friday, December 7, 2012

HOOVER, Ala. - The eighth-ranked Creighton men's soccer team had its 14-match unbeaten streak snapped in the College Cup semifinals, falling 1-0 to Indiana at Regions Park in Hoover, Ala., Friday evening.

The Hoosiers will search for their eighth NCAA title on Sunday at 1 pm when they take on Georgetown. The Hoyas advanced to Sunday's final by virtue of a 4-3 win in penalty kicks after tying Maryland 4-4 after two overtimes. Georgetown had been 0-28-0 all-time against the rival Terrapins.

Indiana (15-5-3) scored in the 27th minute as reserve Femi Hollinger-Janzen notched his fourth goal of the fall. Patrick Doody crossed a ball from the top of the box to the right side of the box. It bounced through a pair of Bluejay defenders before Hollinger-Janzen buried it to the back of the net for an IU goal.

Despite Creighton (17-4-3) out-shooting IU 10-9 on the evening, that score would hold up.

The IU goal was the first surrendered by Creighton in 215:03 when Akron scored early in the 12th minute of a 1-1 tie in an NCAA Third Round match in Akron on Nov. 25. CU blanked the Zips for the rest of the double overtime contest and advanced on PKs before posting a 1-0 shutout at Connecticut in an NCAA quarterfinal Dec. 2.

Indiana had the game's first scoring opportunity in the 10th minute. Eriq Zavaleta lofted a pass to A.J. Corrado over the Bluejay back line, but Corrado's shot was stopped by CU redshirt freshman goalkeeper Jeff Gal.

The Hoosiers argued for a goal in the waning seconds of the half, only to have a Hollinger-Janzen score nullified when it was deemed after the period had ended.

Creighton's best scoring chance in the opening period came in the 40th minute. After a corner kick was initially deflected to the back of the box, Brent Kallman would cross a ball to the center of the box, but Andrew Ribeiro could not connect on a volley amid heavy traffic. Creighton outshot the Hoosiers 5-3 in the opening stanza.

Hollinger-Janzen missed a golden opportunity in the 47th minute. Zavaleta's cross found Hollinger-Janzen unguarded 10 yards in front of the goal, but his redirection sailed high.

Creighton had a strong chance in the 73rd minute when Benito Amaral found Vincent Keller down the right sideline, but Keller's shot went wide.

Christian Blandon, the hero in Creighton's 1-0 win at Connecticut in the quarterfinals, had CU's best chance of the night in the 87th minute. His right-footed blast into the upper 90 was turned away by a diving Hoosier keeper Luis Soffner.

Brendan Hines-Ike fired a rocket in the final minute from the top of the box as well, only to have Soffner make the save on a knuckling shot.

Creighton recorded its fifth College Cup appearance in school history and second consecutive trip. CU's only national title game appearance came in 2000, after defeating Indiana in triple-overtime that year.

The Jays had won its previous 12 games ending in a 1-0 score, including seven such contests in 2012.