Monday, February 11, 2013 | Men's Basketball, Arch Madness
Weekly Men's Basketball Notebook
- Creighton, Indiana State and Wichita State enter the final three weeks of the regular season with identical 9-4 league records. The last time the MVC had co-champs was in 2008-09 (UNI/Creighton), and the last time the league had tri-champs was in 1970-71.
- The league regular-season champion will have at least 4 losses (current leaders Creighton, Indiana State and Wichita State all sit at 9-4). The last time a league champ had more than 4 conference losses was in 1999 when Evansville took the title at 13-5. In fact, only twice in the MVC's 105-year history has a championship team had five MVC losses (1998-99: Evansville; and 1970-71: Drake, Louisville and Saint Louis all tied at 9-5).
- Just 19 teams in the nation enter this week with 20 wins. Creighton and Wichita State (both at 20-5) represent the Missouri Valley Conference on that list. Only the Big East Conference (2), Big Ten Conference (3), Missouri Valley (2) and West Coast Conference (2) have multiple teams with 20 victories.
- Road sites have been difficult for teams in league play (road teams are 18-47 in conference games for a .277 win percentage). Only Creighton and Wichita State (both at 3-3) have a .500 road record in MVC games. Notably, the league was 16-17 in non-conference road play. Last year, the MVC was 33-57 for a .366 win percentage on the road in league play.
- Creighton represents the MVC in the USA Today coaches poll at No. 23 this week but fell from the AP top-25 rankings. Indiana State and Wichita State are among MVC schools receiving votes in the AP poll this week.
- Doug McDermott leads the nation with 583 total points. And his points per game average (23.3) is 2nd. Among qualifying NCAA players, he leads the nation in points per game per 40 minutes (29.9).
- Colt Ryan eclipsed the 2,000-point mark in his career and became just the 14th player in MVC history and the 3rd for UE to hit the mark. He had 27 points in 37 minutes at Bradley, and then erupted for 27 points after halftime in the win against Drake
- Three MVC teams are in the Top 50 of this week's Collegiate Basketball News RPI. Wichita State (41), Creighton (43) and Indiana State (46) represent the league. Since the RPI began being used in 1992, the MVC has had three-top 50 teams in the same season just five times.
1999 (3) -- all 3 made the NCAAs
2005 (4) -- 3 of 4 made the NCAAs
2006 (6) -- 4 of 6 made the NCAAs
2007 (4) -- 2 of 4 made the NCAAs
2008 (3) -- 1 of 3 made the NCAAs